The January transfer window may seem like a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Arsenal push to keep Odegaard
He scored the equaliser which set his side on to a 2-1 win over their local rivals on Sunday, following on from his impressive outing against Olympiakos in the Europa League three days earlier.
As a result of that, the Gunners will be discussing either a loan extension or a permanent move with Real toward the end of the season.
22.56 GMT: Sevilla have reportedly lowered their asking price for defender Jules Kounde to around €58 million (£50m), report the Sun.
The 22-year-old is a target for a number of European clubs and has been impressing in Spain.
Last season the defender helped the club earn fourth in La Liga and qualification into the Champions League.
Sevilla originally wanted €81m (£70m) for the defender, but have since lowered their asking price.
Manchester United are said to be monitoring the situation of the defender with the club keen to find a partner for Harry Maguire at centre-back.
Kounde was close to joining Manchester City last year, but the move collapsed at the final hour.
22.23 GMT: Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has reportedly made it his mission to beat Manchester United to the signing of Erling Haaland, report the Express.
Haaland, 20, has attracted interest from a number of Europe’s elite with his performances for Borussia Dortmund since joining from RB Salzburg in 2019.
The Norwary international has impressed this season with 19 goals in 19 appearances this season in the Bundesliga.
Manchester City are also said to be watching Haaland’s situation closely.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are also said to be interested, but reportedly want to wait until his £64 million release clause becomes active in the summer of 2022.
After Erling Haaland makes more Champions League history, Julien Laurens explains why he could join Man City.
21.48 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain defender Juan Bernat has penned a new four year deal at the club.
Taking to the club’s official website PSG revealed the news Bernat, 28, has extended his stay with the French giants until June 2025.
The defender, who had less than six months on his previous deal, was attracting interest from Juventus and Barcelona with the Ronald Koeman’s side keen to find a replacement for Jordi Alba.
Last week, teammate Angel Di Maria agreed to extend his stay at the club for a further year until 2022.
“First of all, I am very happy. I am very happy to have agreed another year with Paris with the option for one more season if we are both in agreement,” Di Maria said to PSGTV.
“I think it’s something very important for me. My wish and my desire was to stay here because I feel very happy and because my family is very happy too.”
21.12 GMT: Tottenham will reportedly listen to offers for defender Davinson Sanchez, report GiveMeSport.
Sanchez, who signed for Spurs for a then club record fee of £42 million, has played fifteen of the last 28 games between October and December.
Manager Jose Mourinho is said to believe that Tottenham vastly overpaid for the Colombian international when they signed him in 2017.
20.27 GMT: Ajax and PSV Eindhoven have joined the race for Schalke and United States international Matthew Hoppe, according to reports.
Hoppe, 20, has also attracted interest from England and elsewhere in Germany with five goals in 12 goals for Schalke.
Schalke could be forced to sell Hoppe with the club preparing for life after relegation from the Bundesliga.
20.01 GMT: Barcelona president-elect Joan Laporta has secured a bank guarantee worth €125 million and will officially take office on Wednesday, sources have confirmed to ESPN’s Sam Marsden.
Laporta, who was elected last week, was in a race against the clock to secure a bank loan or the club would be forced to call a second election process.
Laporta entered the election race as the hot favourite, and also earned the approval of Lionel Messi.
The Argentina international was expected to leave Barcelona this summer with Paris Saint-Germain among the possible destinations, but Messi could yet reverse his decision and stay at the Camp Nou.
Among the changes at the Camp Nou could be in the managerial capacity with Laporta said to to be in regular contact with former player Xavi about a return to the club in a managerial capacity.
19.35 GMT: Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger has made staying at Chelsea his “No.1 priority” this summer and also revealed Tottenham and Paris Saint-Germain tried to sign him last summer, reports the Telegraph.
Rudiger, who fell out of former manager Frank Lampard’s plans, looked likely to leave the club earlier this season until the arrival of Thomas Tuchel.
“Even at the beginning of the season when things didn’t go my way, I was always calm, like I am now,” said Rudiger.
“At the end of the day I cannot give myself a contract. So that’s why I have to wait to see what happens. Whatever happens I love being at Chelsea, so Chelsea will always be my priority No.1.”
The defender also revealed interest from PSG and Tottenham who both tried to sign the player last summer.
“Everyone, me and the club know how much I like this club, so it’s down to the people who make these types of decisions.
“At the moment for me it’s to concentrate on important matches and targets. The rest, I think I’m sure we will resolve it.”
18.46 GMT: Tottenham Hotspur will have the first refusal to sign Gareth Bale this summer, according to Eurosport.
Bale, who joined the club on loan from Real Madrid last summer, is keen to stay in north London with boss Daniel Levy an admirer of the Welsh international.
Levy reportedly wants to see the winger play in front of a packed crowd at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium and wishes to see him celebrate in front of fans when the governments permits crowds to return.
Bale’s return to Tottenham after leaving in 2013 was made financially easier for Levy after Real agreed to pay his salary for the first month of his loan spell.
Steve Nicol feels Gareth Bale still needs to do more at Tottenham despite his two goals in their 4-0 win vs. Burnley.
18.17 GMT: Liverpool are reported to be interested in Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge, report Eurosport.
Berge joined the club in 2020 for a club record fee of £22 million from Belgian side Genk.
With relegation likely for Sheffield United, who last week saw the exit of long-serving manager Chris Wilder, the club may be forced to sell the 23-year-old as the club prepares for life in the Championship.
Liverpool are monitoring Berge’s situation with Georginio Wijnaldum likely to leave this summer after failing to sign a new deal with the club. The Dutch international’s contract expires at the end of the season with Barcelona heavily linked with the former Newcastle player.
Berge has also attracted the interest of Tottenham and Aston Villa. The midfielder has been out injured since December following surgery to a tendon in his leg.
17.45 GMT: Liverpool and Manchester United are both set to battle it out for the signature of Sporting Lisbon forward Pedro Goncalves, report the Telegraph.
Goncalves, 22, has attracted interest from across Europe following an impressve debut season with Sporting after joining from Famalicao in 2020.
The player previously spent time in England with Wolves, but failed to make a senior cap at the Molineux.
The forward has a £51.6 million release clause inserted in his contract with Liverpool said to have already contacted Sporting in January regarding a move for Goncalves.
17.17 GMT: Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel told a reporter to read a book instead of reading transfer rumours regarding Timo Werner‘s future.
The German manager was speaking in a press conference prior to Chelsea’s Champions League fixture against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday when he was asked about Werner’s future.
“Stop reading [these reports],” the former Paris Saint-Germain boss joked. “Go read a book.”
Outlets previously reported that the German international was ‘unhappy,’ at Chelsea and was seeking an exit from the club.
The former RB Leipzig man has struggled in his debut season in England with a sole Premier League goal to his name in 2021.
16:53 GMT: Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele is set to sign a new deal with the club, according to the Sun.
Dembele, 23, has hit a good patch of form at the Camp Nou with the club keen to reward the French international with a new contract.
The player initially struggled following his €126 million (£106m) move to Barcelona with reports of disciplinary issues as well as lacklustre performances on the pitch, but he has since turned things around.
Dembele’s contract is set to expire in 2022 after joining from Borussia Dortmund in 2017.
Manchester United were linked with a move for the winger, but the former BVB star now looks likely to snub a move to Old Trafford in favour of a new deal with the Catalan side.
Ale Moreno addresses Joan Laporta’s comments about Ousmane Dembele being a key figure at Barca for the coming years.
16.34 GMT: Manchester United will hold a transfer summit this summer to discuss their targets with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and their new technical team, the Sun reports.
Four positions are being targeted by the United hierarchy who are looking to bolster their squad in order to challenge for the title next season.
Among areas of improvement is up front, with reports stating Edinson Cavani will not be offered an extension at the club when his contract expires this summer, and Anthony Martial struugling to hit consistent form this year with seven goals in all competitions.
Reports suggest Borussia Dortmund forward Erling Haaland is the top target, with Harry Kane also said to be among the favoured candidates.
Meanwhile, adding another central midfielder, cover at right-back for Aaron Wan-Bissaka and a partner for Harry Maguire at centre-back are also among the areas the club want to strengthen.
15.59 GMT: Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek wants to hold talks with the club in order to secure an exit after just one year at Old Trafford, the Daily Star reports.
Van de Beek, 23, was United biggest signing in the summer transfer window, when the one-time Real Madrid target arrived from Ajax in a £40m transfer.
However, the Netherlands international has started just 11 games since arriving in England, with just two of those coming in the Premier League.
14.32 GMT: Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema has addressed reports linking Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland with a move to the Bernabeu.
“How can I talk about a player who isn’t at the club?” Benzema told a news conference ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League round-of-16 second leg against Atalanta.
“I’ve been here for a lot of years. Every month they talk about other forwards. What I’ll say is he’s a good, young player who scores a lot of goals for [Dortmund]. He has to work more for his team and if one day he has the chance to come to Madrid, let him come here.”
13.27 GMT: Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has insisted that head coach Hansi Flick will remain in charge of the German champions, declaring: “We’d be crazy to let him go.”
Flick, 56, is the favourite to succeed Joachim Low as the Germany coach after the 2021 European Championships after the incumbent’s announcement to vacate his seat this summer after 17 years with the German FA (DFB) and 15 as the national team coach.
Having left his position as the Low assistant following the 2014 World Cup winning campaign, Flick disappeared off the radar until bursting back onto the scene in late 2019, when he replaced Niko Kovac as the Bayern Munich head coach. Earlier that year, he was named one of Kovac’s assistants.
Flick soon turned around Bayern’s fortunes and, now under contract until 2023, led the Germans to an historic sextuple including the 2020 Champions League and the 2020 Club World Cup, played out in February 2021 because of the pandemic.
But for all the success at club level, reports of a rift between Flick and Bayern sporting executive Hasan Salihamidzic over the club’s transfer philosophy and his reluctance to comment on speculations linking him with the Germany job, have seen dark clouds emerge over the Allianz Arena.
Speaking to German wire dpa on Monday, outgoing Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge tried to calm the nerves of the club’s supporters. “We’d be crazy to let him go prematurely,” Rummenigge, who will retire at the end of the year, said and added that he backs the German FA’s approach to not contact any coach with a contract beyond the summer of 2021.
Flick, on Tuesday, refused to comment on Rummenigge’s statement, telling a news conference ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League match against Lazio: “I’ve said everything what I had to say. And that’s why I won’t make any more comments on this issue.”
And German outlet Bild on Tuesday reported that the rift with Salihamdizic could lead to Flick’s resignation regardless of a possible appointment as the Germany head coach. In that scenario, Bayern would be unable to control the future of one of the club’s most successful coaches.
Steve Cherundolo joins ESPN FC to discuss whether Bayern Munich boss Hansi Flick should leave to coach Germany.
12.27 GMT: Manchester United are looking for a scout to help spot future superstars from the age of six.
United are hiring a lead phase scout to target players around Manchester aged between six and eight. The successful candidate will be expected to “compile and maintain target lists” of youngsters good enough to join United’s academy. Under Premier League rules, clubs can register players from under-9 level.
“The purpose of the role is to lead the pre-academy recruitment strategy and help coordinate the academy scouting operation and gain market intelligence for Manchester United Football Club in the North West region,”United’s job advert read.
“The primary responsibility is to oversee the recruitment strategy within the pre-academy phase, ensuring Manchester United academy have leading market knowledge.
“Also coordinating the casual scouting network to identify, track, recommend and support the recruitment of grassroots players of potential interest to Manchester United Academy in the North West region.”
United have had an academy graduate in their matchday squad for more than 4,000 consecutive games.
11.31 GMT: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane appeared to stoke up the rumours about a possible return for Cristiano Ronaldo (see 08.00 GMT), but is it a genuine possibility?
Julien Laurens reads between the lines on Zinedine Zidane’s answer regarding Cristiano Ronaldo’s future.
10.38 GMT: Matteo Guendouzi insists he has not ruled out continuing his career at Arsenal when his loan at Hertha Berlin ends this summer.
Guendouzi joined Hertha on a season-long loan deal last October after falling out with Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta.
The 21-year-old has gone on the make 19 league appearances for the Bundesliga side, scoring two goals, as Hertha battle against relegation.
Asked by France Football if his Arsenal career was over, Guendouzi responded: “Not at all. I am focused on my season at Hertha Berlin. Then, we will have a meeting with my entourage and the people of the club to ask and discuss the future. I am still an Arsenal player. This summer will be decisive. “
09.43 GMT: Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri has become the latest youngster to sign a new long-term contract at the club.
Mejbri, 18, signed from Monaco in 2019, and has been playing for the club’s U23 side this season.
The Paris-born player follows in the footsteps of Shola Shoretire, who signed his first professional deal at the club last month and has since made two first-team appearances at Old Trafford.
08.48 GMT: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has denied any talk of a rift between him and Raheem Sterling after the forward’s recent spell out of the team.
Sterling was an unused substitute in last Wednesday’s 3-0 winover Southampton, and then then was left of the squad altogether for Saturday’s 5-2 win at Fulham.
The England international tweeted on Sunday to insist there was nothing behind his recent omissions, and Guardiola reiterated the point on Monday.
“Always Raheem and all the players train and react really well. I don’t expect them to be happy the guys who don’t play and the guys who are not selected. It’s normal, it’s always happened since football was created,” Guardiola told a news conference ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League round-of-16 second leg against Borussia Monchengladbach. “Raheem has been so important and is so important for the team and for all of us.”
“All the players respect my decisions. I’ve not found one player in my career in 14 years as a manager who is happy when he is not playing. Never, ever. But they react really well and behave really well.
“He doesn’t need to do it [dismiss the rumours on Twitter]. Nothing happened. He was not selected, that’s all.”
08.00 GMT: Zinedine Zidane has apparently opened the door to a possible Real Madrid return for Cristiano Ronaldo as speculation continues about the Juventus forward’s future.
“Maybe,” Zidane told Sky Sport Italy when asked about Ronaldo ahead of Madrid’s Champions League round-of-16 second leg with Atalanta. “We know Cristiano, the person he is and what he did here. But he’s a Juventus player… We’ll see what happens in the future. I was lucky to coach him. He’s really impressive.”
Zidane had previously been tight-lipped when asked about the chances of re-signing the Portugal international, who is Madrid’s all-time record goalscorer after a stellar nine-year spell at the Bernabeu.
The team has seen a notable drop in their efficiency in front of goal since his departure, with only Karim Benzema reaching double figures in La Liga this season.
ESPN has reported that Madrid are currently waiting to see how the team finishes the season — as well as their financial situation — before decisions are made on signing a forward this summer.
PAPER TAK (by Harry Kettle)
Benzema defers to Real on deal
Benzema has been setting the standard for forward excellence at the club for over a decade now and even though he currently has a deal that lasts until 2022, he’s willing to renegotiate with the club to avoid any lingering concerns heading into the summer and beyond.
“I go day by day,” Benzema said on Monday. “I enjoy every training session, every game. I have a contract until 2022, but my door is open if the president wants to renew me. This is the best club in the world.”
Rudiger set for Chelsea talks
The 28-year-old defender has been at Stamford Bridge since 2017, but as he prepares to enter the final year of his deal the hope from the Blues is that they can avoid any drama by getting him to sign straight away.
The initial idea from Chelsea, says the story, is to open discussions after the Euros, but in a proactive move Thomas Tuchel now wants to do secure a new deal before the tournament in order to put Rudiger’s mind at ease.
– Internazionale youngster Alessandro Bastoni is set for talks over a contract extension with the club, Calciomercato reports. The 21-year-old has recently emerged as one to watch in the midst of Inter’s title surge and even though his current deal takes him through to 2023, the club wants to lock him down to fresh terms.
– O Dia is reporting that Ajax are invested in a potential move for Flamengo goalkeeper Hugo Souza. At the age of just 22, he already seems to have the confidence of a veteran keeper and Flamengo have rewarded that reliability with a bumper new. However, Ajax are happy to wait for a year or two, to the point where they will send members of their backroom squad to watch him play in person in order to see how he develops.