Paramount Picture’s big budget action franchise “Mission: Impossible 7” has shut down production yet again,this time in the U.K., due to positive COVID-19 tests, months after star and producer Tom Cruise made international headlines rebuking set workers for letting their guard down in an expletive-filled rant.
A statement from a Paramount representative said “M:I 7” production had been temporarily halted until June 14 due to positive coronavirus test results during routine testing. The studio said it is following COVID-19 protocols and will continue to monitor the situation. No further details were available.
UK’s The Sun newspaper, which first broke the news of the shutdown (and of Cruise’s December set explosion), reported that Cruise, along with other cast and crew, are having to self-isolate for two weeks after 14 crew members tested positive.
Paramount declined to comment beyond the statement. Cruise’s representative did not respond to a request for comment
The shutdown continues a troubled history in the COVID-19 pandemic for the seventh installment of Cruise’s 25-year-old action franchise. In February 2020, production was shut down in Venice, Italy following a coronavirus outbreak in the country before the first day of shooting. The movie was hit with more delays in October 2020 when 12 people on the Italy set tested positive for COVID-19, Variety reported. Production resumed a week later.
After moving to Leavesden Studios, outside London, Cruise made international newsin December when The Sun revealed leaked set audio of Cruise yelling at two crew members reportedly standing too close to one another in front of a computer screen.
Standing by his words: Tom Cruise owns expletive-laden ‘M:I7’ rant over COVID-19: ‘I said what I said’
Why it was important:Tom Cruise’s ‘M:I7’ rant is a flashpoint in COVID debate
In the audio, Cruise can be heard shouting: “We are the gold standard. They’re back there in Hollywood making movies right now because of us. Because they believe in us and what we’re doing. I’m on the phone with every (expletive) studio at night, insurance companies, producers and they’re looking at us and using us to make their movies. We are creating thousands of jobs, you (expletive). I don’t ever want to see it again. Ever!”
Cruise addressed the viral flap for the first time last month, doubling down on his messaging to Empire Magazine, explaining “there was a lot at stake at that point.”
“I said what I said,” Cruise said, adding that he only addressed the “select people” who were directly involved with the safety violation.