The adaptation of Mark Millar’s superhero comic drew 696 million minutes of viewing time in the week of May 3-9 (it aired on May 7), edging out Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale (690 million) for the top spot among Netflix, Hulu, Amazon’s Prime Video, and Disney+ original programmes. The rankings were released a day after Millar and Netflix revealed that Jupiter’s Legacy was completed at the streaming service. Millar’s firm, Millarworld, was acquired by Netflix in 2017, and a live-action show based on his and Leinil Francis Yu’s Supercrooks was given a series order.
Jupiter’s Legacy has 696 million minutes of view time, which is somewhat less than Netflix’s previous blockbuster series, Shadow and Bone. For the first weekend, the show received 721 million minutes, and for the entire week of April 26 to May 2, it received 1.19 billion minutes. For the weeks of May 3–9, it fell to 555 million.
The Handmaid’s Tale’s ratings plummeted after it was reduced to single weekly episodes on Hulu (the season four debut featured three installments). The drama received 690 million minutes of viewing time, down 34% from 1.04 billion the week before. (In its rankings, Nielsen considers all episodes of a series.)
Selena: The Series Season 2 (639 million minutes), Netflix docuseries Sons of Sam (461 million), and Disney+ animated series Star Wars: The Bad Batch (251 million) all debuted in the top ten originals.
With 853 million minutes of viewing time — equivalent to nearly 7.55 million full showings of the 113-minute feature — Netflix’s animated film The Mitchells vs. the Machines was the top overall title for the week. Without Remorse (568 million minutes), Amazon’s Tom Clancy adaption, had a strong second week, declining around 25% from its debut.
Streaming platforms argue that Nielsen’s methodology does not capture the full spectrum of viewership on non-TV devices. Nielsen also only evaluates audiences in the United States, not those in other countries, and now only ranks Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix.
The top ten streaming lists from Nielsen for May 3-9 are listed below. An asterisk (*) indicates that the film is available for streaming.
1. Jupiter’s Legacy (Netflix), 696 million minutes viewed
2. The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu), 690 million
3. Selena: The Series (Netflix), 639 million
4. Shadow and Bone (Netflix), 555 million
5. The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness (Netflix), 461 million
6. The Circle (Netflix), 456 million
7. Star Wars: The Bad Batch (Disney+), 251 million
8. The Crown (Netflix), 210 million
9. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+), 204 million
10. Lucifer (Netflix), 190 million
1. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 733 million minutes
2. NCIS (Netflix), 721 million
3. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 658 million
4. Cocomelon (Netflix), 519 million
5. Supernatural (Netflix), 380 million
6. Heartland (Netflix), 369 million
7. Schitt’s Creek (Netflix), 293 million
8. New Girl (Netflix), 279 million
9. Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn (Netflix), 254 million
10. Bones (Netflix), 245 million
1. The Mitchells vs. the Machines* (Netflix), 853 million minutes
2. Without Remorse* (Amazon), 568 million
3. Madagascar 3 (Netflix), 244 million
4. Things Heard & Seen* (Netflix), 239 million
5. Love Happens (Netflix), 220 million
6. Green Zone (Netflix), 208 million
7. Moana (Disney+), 186 million
8. Scarface (Netflix), 138 million
9. The Clovehitch Killer (Hulu), 132 million
10. Your Highness (Netflix), 129 million